What is a Day Care FSA?
A Day Care FSA is a pre-tax benefit account that enables employees to set aside money to pay for their out-of-pocket daycare or dependent care expenses. Funds put into the plan avoid both Federal Income Tax and FICA, creating a tax savings for both the participant and the employer!
- Navia Benefits Debit Card for easy day care payments
- Online Portal and MyNavia mobile access to balances and transactions
- Recurring claim submissions
- Kinside – access to affordable child care
- Customer service online, by email, or by toll-free call
- Secure and easy file-based or online administration
- Analytics and campaigns to encourage participation
- Online and downloadable reports
- Dedicated implementation manager
- Full compliance with federal and local regulations
- Plan documents and materials to increase enrollment
- Responsive and experienced employer service team
Smart technology for a better benefit experience.
We know well-designed technology can make administering your benefits easier and improve employee satisfaction. Navia’s proprietary technology works across all our solutions to make your day easier and improve everyone’s benefit experience.
- Employer and Participant Portals
- Navia Benefits Debit Card
- Mobile App
- Mobile Pay
Unparalleled service, no matter where you are.
Navia serves 7,000+ employers across all 50 states. We have 30 years of experience serving the benefits industry and we are committed to providing unparalleled service to our brokers, employers, and participants.
Open Enrollment Support
Navia’s clients who participate in our OE webinars see an average 6% increase in enrollment, and clients who participate in our email campaign see an average 15% increase!
Check out our Navia Benefits Academy for our robust open enrollment program to help increase your enrollment year over year!
Interested in learning more?
Contact our sales team at 425.452.3498 or email@example.com
Scroll down for individuals
What is a Day Care FSA?
A Day Care FSA is a pre-tax benefit account that enables you to set aside money to pay for your out-of-pocket daycare or dependent care expenses.
Who and What is Covered?
With a Day Care FSA you can pay for child care for any dependent children up to age 13. You can also pay for care for your spouse or relative –13 years or older — that is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and lives in your home 50% of the year.
Common eligible day care expenses are preschool, day care, day camps, a nanny or au pair, before and after school care, elder care, and adult day care. Click here for a complete list of eligible expenses.
How Does it Work?
Federal, state, and FICA taxes lower your take-home pay by 30% or more, leaving the remaining 70% for your living expenses When you use an FSA, you set aside money before it is taxed, so you spend the entire 100% of your earned income. This means you save 30% on your out-of-pocket day care expenses when you use your FSA.
- Estimate your annual election. During your open enrollment, use the FSA calculator to estimate your out-of-pocket day care expenses for the plan year. This will help you determine your annual election amount.
- Monthly paycheck deductions. The amount you elect will be deducted evenly out of each paycheck on a pre-tax basis and put into your Daycare FSA. You cannot change your annual election amount after the start of the plan year unless you have a qualified change in status.
- Funds are available after contribution. After your monthly contribution is made to your account you will be able to submit claims for expenses. Much like your banking account, you cannot spend more than what is in your account each month.
- Pay and submit claims! Claims can be submitted online or through Navia’s mobile app. Some Navia plans also offer a debit card, which is your fastest way to pay and avoid a claim.
Accessing Your Benefits
Navia Participant Portal
Get 24/7 access to your benefits with the Navia Participant Portal. Submit claims, view account balances and history, get alerts and notifications, request additional debit cards, access our customer service, and much more!
Navia Mobile App
Whether you’re at the doctor’s office or on vacation, the MyNavia App allows you to manage and access your benefits right from your smartphone! Available for iPhone and Android devices, the MyNavia App is a free-to-download and free-to-use tool for any Navia participant.
Navia Benefits Debit Card
Just swipe your Navia Benefit Card to pay for eligible healthcare expenses. Funds come directly out of your FSA and are paid to the provider. Some swipes require us to verify the expense, so hang on to your receipts! If we need to see it, we will send you a notification.
Navia Mobile Pay
Mobile Pay is also available for any participant that has the Navia Benefits Debit Card. Add your Navia Benefits Debit Card to your online wallet and begin paying for eligible expenses with your digital wallet! Learn more here.
Deadlines & Extensions
The Day Care FSA is subject to the “Use-It or Lose-It” rule. This means that if you do not use all of your annual election within the plan year, the remaining funds are not refundable to you. Fortunately, very few participants forfeit money in an FSA, and the IRS has relaxed the rules in recent years to make it easier for FSA participants to avoid forfeiture.
Some plans include a feature that extends deadlines
The run-out period is how long you have to file a claim for medical costs incurred during the plan year and during the grace period following the plan year. Run-out periods vary by employer and typically last 60 to 90 days after the end of the plan year.
The Grace Period gives you an extra 2.5 months at the end of the plan year to incur expenses against your FSA balance. This is an optional feature, so check your employer’s plan design to see if the Grace Period is included.
Check your employer’s plan design to see if the Grace Period feature is part of your plan.
Meet our day care partner!
Navia and Kinside have partnered to provide our Day Care FSA participants with a resource for finding affordable child care. Kinside is free for all Day Care FSA participants and can be accessed both through your Participant portal and on the Kinside website.
- Save up to 20% on child care on daycares and preschools near you. Other savings include waived application fees.
- Have access to child care nationwide. Kindside’s database can be searched by program type, availability, area code, and more.
- Pay online! Connect your Navia debit card to your Kinside account to pay your child care provider.
- Access to full licensing and inspection reports for every for every day care and preschool in Kinside’s network.